Dates: 1 February – 30 April 2015
Previously known as RSSA (Russian Studies Semester Abroad), this module is once again available to undergraduates. It offers classes in Russian history, politics and culture as well as an intensive Russian language course. The module draws upon the resources and experience of the renowned International MA in Russian studies but is tuned to the requirements of the western undergraduate training. Throughout the spring semester in Saint Petersburg students will receive professional academic training in the Russian area studies and get a diverse personal experience of the Russian society. The courses in history and culture will include on-site classes in cultural and historical venues of Saint Petersburg. All instruction is in English.
Workload and credits
- Semester of 13-week, from 18 to 36 contact hours per week
- The choice of 3 to 5 courses corresponding to 18 to 36 ECTS credits (9 to 18 US credits).
- Each subject course carries 6 ECTS credits (3 US credits) and is taught for 4 academic hours per week plus homework. Delivered through lectures and seminar sessions for which home reading is assigned, each course involves submitting one or two essays.
- Russian language is taught for 8 hours per week in groups corresponding to proficiency level. The course carries 12 ECTS credits (6 US credits). Final evaluation can include the official TORFL test.
Courses and lecturers
- The History of the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union (Sergei Podbolotov)
- The Russian Art from the Icon to Avant-Garde (Alexei Kurbanovsky)
- Russian Society, Media and Culture (Sergey Erofeev)
- Post-Soviet Political and Economic Transition (Alexei Pikulik)
- Russian language
The program is scheduled for spring semester only. The semester begins on the first week of February and terminates after 13 weeks in May.
EUSP provides visa and registration support. It also helps to lodge international students in Russian families or to rent separate apartments. Students are entitled to use the library, the computer facilities, and other university services.
The fee for the 2015 Spring semester is 6,250 US dollars per student corresponding to the standard load and credits.
Institutional and individual applications are welcome. EUSP seeks institutional partnerships with universities wishing to send small groups of students to Russia for one semester on a regular basis.
Individual applications should include:
- A completed and signed application form (download the form)
- A statement of purpose (not more than 300 words)
- One letter of recommendation from an academic who is closely acquainted with the student’s academic work.
- Current transcript of academic records.
The whole application package, including recommendation letters, may be sent by e-mail to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can post your application to:
European University at St. Petersburg
3 Gagarinskaya Street
191187 St. Petersburg, RUSSIA
Deadline for individual applications: 30 October 2014
For more details, please, write to firstname.lastname@example.org
or call +7 (812) 386 7648